Friday, April 16, 2010

"SPRINGTIME" IN HARBIN

I was loath to put on my down coat this past Monday. Something about wearing a down coat in April doesn't feel natural, but once I stepped outside into the wind and snow and pulled my hood tight over my head, I was glad I had put it on.
At least the snow wasn't sticking to the roads, my co-teacher and I noted as we walked back home from lunch.
That afternoon, I had office hours, and running a bit late, I decided to take my bike. The roads were clear, after all... But when the doorman saw I wanted to get my bike, he quickly said "It's snowing!" "I know," I replied. "You'll break your head open, the roads are slippery!" I looked out the door... "Oh!" He was right, there was 2 inches of snow on the road! I decided to walk.

That evening, after my class ended at 8 PM, two students walked me home, umbrellas in hand. By the time we reach my apartment, there was a thick layer of snow on the umbrellas.

Umbrellas in the snow ... that reminds me of a story ... I should have known that Harbin was under the White Witch's curse.

Tuesday, it kept coming. It didn't keep me from going to the pool, though, but I think trudging through drifts of snow up to my knees and walking against the wind was as much exercise as I got while swimming! I wonder how long it took for this taxi that I passed to get out...

All the locals say this snow was really abnormal - a once in 50 years kind of thing. I admit, it was bit fun to see all this snow at once, but I'm still left wondering, how much longer until Aslan comes? How much longer until Spring?

2 comments:

  1. It will be there before you know it. Don't give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the big "rare" snowstorm we had this winter. When are you coming home?

    ReplyDelete