Recently, I've had a few students and friends tell me "You should put on more clothes." No, I am not dressing indecently! It is probably the first thing you'd think of if someone said that to you in America, but here in China I know that is not what they mean. They are merely expressing their concern for me and my health.
One text message I got said: "the weather forecast reported that it will reduce the temperature recently. so put on more clothes. please." She's so sweet! And tonight, a girl was walking with me back to my apartment from English Corner (a club for speaking English) and told me, as we both shivered against the wind, "You should wear more clothes." I kindly replied to her "You should wear more clothes too!" "Oh, yes, I will," she replied. ... I will, too, though right now I'm holding off on the down coat. 30 degrees seems balmy when compared to what it's going to be later on this winter!
Have you purchased your long underwear yet?
ReplyDeleteWe have snow in the forecast for tonight, a dusting to 2 inches. It hasn't been down in the thirties though.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're being reminded to stay warm!
It's been in the 30s every morning when I went to work this past week. This is the earliest I remember winter coming down here (not the same in Boston). How's everything? Did you do anything for Halloween yesterday?
ReplyDeleteFor Halloween, I gave my students some candy corn that I'd brought with me from the U.S. but I didn't do much else. I also talked about it some with people at English Corner (English club) on Tuesday last week.
ReplyDeletethat's interesting...one of my chinese flatmates (of which i have 5...) keeps telling me to wear more clothes; shes always saying "how can you wear so little??" when im wearing a tshirt and sweatpants. sounds like youre having a good time!! i'm glad to hear about somewhere with colder weather than scotland!!
ReplyDeletewow what a cool note! It's so good to hear how you're doing. DAD and I talk about you all the time. Keep the notes coming!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you have friend to look after you! Your pictures of St Sophia are wonderful. As I am ignorant about your new city what is the history of St Sophia. Does anyone get to go inside? is it still in use?
ReplyDelete11 with windchill in Hanover the other night, but I assume you've got us beat by now!
ReplyDeleteMarie, St. Sophia is just a museum now. I hope to have a chance to visit there this January when the semester finishes! I'll let you know what's inside.
ReplyDeleteIt was 20 degrees out today, so yes 30 is balmy.
ReplyDelete