I had a casual lunch with the head English teacher this past Wednesday. It also happened to be "Dragon Head-Raising Day," the second day of the second month after Lunar New Year. After telling me it was a holiday, she told me I should get my hair cut or get it washed at a salon. (But I washed it this morning!) Then, she explained how it's the tradition not to cut your hair from New Years until this day and how when you do it'll bring you luck. I opted out of this one, since my hair was neither long nor dirty, nor do I depend on luck. This is also the day that people traditionally eat pig's head meat. So of course, one of our dishes at lunch was a spicy cucumber and pig's head meat salad. Quite tasty! I liked it better than the pig's ears I had over Spring Festival. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of this!
And Birthday Cake, too:
And yesterday, we had a little surprise party for one of the foreign teachers.
For the party, some friends and I baked a chocolate cake. Sadly, the girls that helped me couldn't make the party and though I saved them a piece, the cake went moldy surprisingly quickly and they never got a taste of the first cake they ever made! :(
Signs of Spring:
Speaking of things going moldy, Spring is on the way! How can I tell? Well, it's coming through one of the corners of my ceiling. There was more snow than normal this year and it was an extremely cold winter (this is what the Harbin native's are saying), so a lot of people in my neighborhood who live on the top floor like me are in a similar situation. Thankfully, it's in the room that I only used for my office and I've been able to move my office stuff to the room I was using as just my bedroom. I actually like my new set-up, it's cozy and it's made me more productive! Would've thought I'd be thankful for a wet, moldy ceiling, but in more than one way, I am!
No comments:
Post a Comment