Sunday, March 28, 2010

SUNDAY SNAPSHOT

Too Much Birthday?

This past week was week of celebrations! In my last snapshot I wrote how we had a small surprise party for one of the foreign teachers. Well, that was partially just to make her not suspect what we were really up to ...

Last Wednesday we gathered ALL her students together in a coffee shop on campus and threw a BIG surprise party for her. Since she has about 150 students, we had to have the party in 3 shifts, each group of 50 had 1 hour. Students gave performances and small gifts, sang songs, and played games. We all took lots of pictures and ate lots of birthday cake. Some of the students are also my new students this semester, so it was a good opportunity to get to know them better. (Snapshot below: The third party - English 2nd majors - who I also teach)

As if 3 birthday parties wasn't enough for one week, this past Sunday, at the local fellowship I've just started to attend this spring, the College Group had a birthday party to celebrate anyone who has a birthday between January and March. I'd been feeling a bit strange attending a "college" group seeing that I teach at a college and I'm not a student, but this Sunday, I found out that the ages of people in the college group range from 16-25...and I am not the oldest, so I realized the term "college" applies loosely. I am starting to feel more connected to the people there - the first few weeks not many people talked to me because they were afraid to speak English (they told me this), but now, they realize that I can usually follow most of the what they're saying in Chinese.

No comments:

Post a Comment